LinuxPPC 2000 / BootX with MOL?

Subject: LinuxPPC 2000 / BootX with MOL?
From: Robert Frezza (bfrezza@bfrezza.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 05:19:09 MST

I've recently installed the full LinuxPPC 2000 (including mol) onto my machine,
and I'm unable to run maconlinux. When running startmol as root, I get:
Patching the kernel...
Rule 7: *** FAILED ***
No patching was performed

I understand this is because I'm booting via BootX, and the kernel in /boot is
for yaboot (which isn't working on my 7500). The documentation mentions this
combination of BootX and mol briefly, and recommends copying the kernel to a
linux-accesssable drive.

So, I copied vmlinux from my MacOS System Folder to an accessible HFS volume
mounted in /boot/BootX. From linux, as root, I tried startmol
/boot/BootX/vmlinux, and get the same:
Examining 'tmp/System.map_tmp'
Success
Patching the kernel...
Rule 7: *** FAILED ***
No patching was performed

Is there any way to patch the kernel if I'm running BootX? It seems to fail
on this mysterious rule 7 regardless of what argument I'm giving it.

Best,

Bob