Re: Urgent!!! Help me!! Mac patition is gone!! (fwd)

Subject: Re: Urgent!!! Help me!! Mac patition is gone!! (fwd)
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 08:01:51 MST

>Here was the conclusion of the thread. Could there be a way in the future
>to prevent this kind of corruption? Can the -force option allow to mount a
>partition on both Linux and MOL side? Is this the reason of the
>corruption?

This doesn't solve your problem, but it may be a way to avoid it in future.
I have my MacOS boot partition which has software, OS etc on it, and
another HFS partition with my files, which I mount from linux too. I've
written a three line script which umounts my shared HFS partition, then
runs startmol, and then when startmol quits (which it does when you
shutdown MacOS in MOL) it remounts the shared HFS partition.

I did it that way cause it's a pain to boot into MacOS to find that I've
forgotten to umount the shared HFS partition cause that means I can't see
any of my data in MacOS. Ideally MOL would let you mount the partition
while leaving it still mounted in linux, but till then this is a safe
workaround. It's the worlds simplest script.

I did once remount the HFS partition while MOL was still using it and
created a new file from linux. MacOS didn't notice, and I couldn't get it
to either. So my guess is the -force option is not safe.

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/