Re: full screen mol + USB question

Subject: Re: full screen mol + USB question
From: 0verseer (mpwd@w-d.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:16:16 MST

> I tried to do this in WindowMaker, but the MOL window didn't have a name
> under X (ie in the way the emacs window is called emacs.Emacs), so
> WindowMaker couldn't store the settings. But I'm using x.x.39, which is
> kinda out of date now. Will this problem go away if I upgrade? Or is there
> another way of doing it.

Yeah, I am running 41-1, which I guess has some a few fixes. I would also make
sure that when you do the little trick that you set it up so it is minimized
durring startup, or else you have no method of changing the settings for it.

> On an unrelated point, I noticed that you can compile in USB support for
> the UMAX 1220U scanner into the linux kernal. If I did this would I be able
> to use the scanner under MOL or is there more to it than that? Being able
> to use my printer and scanner from MOL would mean I'd basically never have
> to reboot into MacOS for real, which would be fantastic. What's the state
> of USB support now? If you guys are looking for things to put on the wish
> list then that's my vote.

I don't think that the scanner is supported yet, however I can offer the next
best thing. If you were to spend a while perusing the docs for atalkd you will
find that linux can support an appleshare filesystem. If your computer has a
static IP or web adress and you are using Mac Os 8 eth0 or Mac Os 9 with
ethertap(? Correct me if I am wrong on how to get it to work with OS 9, I
couldn't), then you should be able to enter in the chooser the address of you
linux computer using file sharing. Then you can use whatever scanner software
you can find on Linux (you probably wanna check out www.freshmeat.net), saving
to you shared file system. While it isn't exactly perfect scanner support, the
images show up on real time on you mac desktop, and you are free to use
photoshop or whatnot almost like normal. That is, at least, the way I would do
it.

Hope this helps,

MPWD