Help: Black screen on Powerbook G3

Subject: Help: Black screen on Powerbook G3
From: David Ray (daver@idiom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 19:47:04 MST

Hi mol-ers:

I get a black screen when I start up MOL on my Powerbook G3. I've
searched the archives and haven't found a solution to this problem.
Others mentioned they have the same problem. I am using a Powerbook
G3 wallstreet (233) (aty mach 64 video driver) and kernel 2.2.14. MOL
starts up just fine but as soon as it creates an X window it freezes
with strange console messages. I've appended the console messages and
my molrc file. Any help is appreciated.

Someone posted that he is running MOL just fine on a Powerbook G3
Lombard. Wondering whats the trick. If someone has this working
please email me or post your molrc file and let me know what OS
you're using. Thanks.

-Dave
daver@idiom.com

PS I have MacOS 8.51 and booting with the old-style ROM.

The black screen hangs at the line 'video: Write to read-only
register 6 !', then I hit control-c twice to stop the process.

---------

>> startmol
Using MOL library directory /usr/lib/mol
Mac-on-Linux 0.9.41
(C) 1997-2000 Samuel Rydh, <samuel@ibrium.se>
Using resource file '/etc/molrc'
MOL kernel module 1.1.41
32MB RAM mapped at 0x20000000
<ROM_FIX> 4096K ROM mapped at 0x4fc00000
<Physical ROM mapping>
ROM checksum = 0x1ca
Running in PowerPC 750 mode (G3)
DEC frequency: 0x00fbc520 (16 MHx), 165:10 mticks/usec
PCI-bridge 'pci' (bus 0..0) installed at 0x80000000
Heathrow, (0:16) found
Don't know how to access NVRAM with 0 addesses
No swim3 floppy controller found
Video module 'xvideo' installed.
Video module 'console_video' not installed.
MODE: 640*480, depth 8,32, 0.0 Hz
MODE: 800*600, depth 8,32, 0.0 Hz
MODE: 1024*768, depth 8,32, 0.0 Hz
MODE: 1152*864, depth 8,32, 0.0 Hz
MODE: 1280*1024, depth 8,32, 0.0 Hz
MODE: 1600*1200, depth 8,32, 0.0 Hz
Starting in video mode 640*480, depth 32, 0.0 Hz [offs:0, rb:2560]
osi_enet: Attached to network interface <eth0>
osi_enet: Ethernet address is: 00 05 02 0f dc d6
osi_scsi: *** OSI SCSI DISABLED **
MESH SCSI-driver installed (IRQs 12/12)

HFS disk: 1466 MB, /dev/hda7 [read-only]

SCSI-Disk (hw-0): 0 MB

Starting emulation...

Unknown SPR register 1017
Unknown SPR register 1017
Unknown SPR register 1017
Mapping GC at F3000000
video: Write to read-only register 6 !
Signal INT
One more to kill emulator
cleaning up...
Terminating threads...
DONE

molrc:

newworld_boot: no

processor: 8 # Should almost *ALWAYS* be 8 <------------
ram_size: 32 # You might want to increase this

blkdev: /dev/hda7 -ro

#mouse_device: /dev/usbmouse
mouse_protocol: console # usb (ps2), adb, console
mouse_dpi: 140 # higher == slower mouse
use_x_cursor: yes # use X cursor as mouse cursor

disable_osi_enet: no
enet_interface: eth0

resolution: 640/480/60 # width/height[/Hz]
depth: 8 #

vmode_database: /etc/fb.modes

start_on_console: no #switch to console initially
autoswitch_console: yes #allow automatic switch to console
enable_console_video: yes # 'no' to disable full-screen (console) video
enable_xvideo: yes #
use_backing_store: no # Set to 'yes' only if the X-server is remote.

keyboard_id: 2

gamma: 1.0 # one value for all RGB

logfile: /tmp/mol-logfile # only used in debugger mode

--------------------
David Ray
daver@idiom.com
--------------------

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents
contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential
and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use
of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission
was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the
contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
contact me at daver@idiom.com, to let me know, and delete the message.
Thank you.