Re: Starting mol on my linux system My colors get crazy

Subject: Re: Starting mol on my linux system My colors get crazy
From: Vinai (vroopcha@post.its.mcw.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 08:10:53 MST

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Richard Bates wrote:

}I'm new at this...
} How do I get X to change from 8 to 24 or 32 bit?
}
}Thank you in advance...

I am not sure of your setup, so my answer may not be complete. If you
boot into console mode (text based login) and you have to launch X from
the command line, you have a couple options. If you use Xpmac, you do:

        $ startx -- -depth 8 15/16 24/32

I can't remember if all of the issues were resolved with the 15/16 bit
colour depth, and ditto for 24/32. But try one of these 4 numbers (15,
16, 24, 32) and see. If you use XFree, you would do:

        $ startx -- -bpp ..... (same choice of numbers)

To find you which you are using, take a look at /etc/X11/X (a symbolic
link) and see which X-server it points to.

If you boot into a GUI login screen, you would have to look at the file
where these login managers are configured and edit those to start into X
at the right colour depth. Here, you may be using xdm, gdm (for Gnome)
or kdm (for KDE). I have not used any of these, and I don't how they're
configured. But I think the files for these would also be in /etc/X11

HTH
vinai