Re: 'Unmapped 'RAM-read-access'

Subject: Re: 'Unmapped 'RAM-read-access'
From: Adam Price (Adam@oldchildrensbooks.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 19:33:48 MST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Ettouati wrote:

> I tried to install Mac-on-linux on my Performa 6400/180 with that result:
>
> -------------------------
> 32MB RAM mapped at 0x20000000
> <ROM_FIX> 4096K ROM mapped at 0x4fc00000
> <Physical ROM mapping>
> ROM checksum = 0x150
<<<SNIPS-O'JOY>>
> Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 08000000
> Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 08000000
> Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 08000000
> Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 08000000
> Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 08000000
> Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 06000000
> ---------------------------------
> I used the patched kernel 2.2.15pre3 and mol-0.9.41. On the Mac side I have
> got MacOS 8.1. MacOS is on partition sda5. Is there a solution to solve this
> kind of problem ?

I have heard it is possible to run mol with 8.1 - I tried for a long time
(months), and couldn't get it to work. I recommmend upgrading the macos
to 8.6. Once I did this (with the help of someone who fed me a new 8.6
kernel) mol began to work for me, with no twiddling, tweaking or hacking
required. 8.6 has stability and speed advantages over 8.1 anyways, and is
a recommended upgrade - I have heard it said that 8.6.1 is the most stable
MacOS in the last five years - I can't verify it, because I only launch
with mol.

Ask around - see if anyone you know has 8.6. I live in a third world
country, and it took me a while to find it, but it was worth the work, and
the 45 minutes I waited in the rain outside his office when I had tracked
down an owner.

If you are not able to do the upgrade, re-read the sections of the faq on
the ROM. The configuration is not the same as for the new-world ROM.

        -Adam

--
 Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied: "You see, wire
telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat.  You pull his tail in New York