Re: Networking strangeness Solution?

Subject: Re: Networking strangeness Solution?
From: Steve R Webster (srw@zanshin.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 11:49:31 MDT

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Brian Foddy wrote:
> Charles,
> It sounds like you are making much better progress on this issue
> than we've seen for a while.
> > [...]
> > To slacken off the demands on MOL (i.e. the osi_enet driver) I've hacked
> > sheep_net so that you can specicify a filter ip address. sheep_net will only
> > pass ip packets with a destination address that matches the filter. All other
> > non ip packets are passed though normally.

My (kernel newbie's) intuition is that there's a layering problem in how
the sheep_net driver's doing it's job. Similar products, like VMware
(www.vmware.com), don't have this kind of difficulty. I've done some
coding for this kind of thing on VMS, and I'd be happy to take a crack at
the Linux flavor: can anyone point me at a document that describes how
the Linux kernel does internal packet routing?

thanks,
-steve