Re: Networking strangeness Solution?

Subject: Re: Networking strangeness Solution?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 02:14:40 MDT

At 10:02 PM -0700 5/9/00, David Mackler wrote:
>I do not use Ethertap, but I do use IP Masq. MOL has its own IP address on
>my local subnet, sharing eth1. The DSL line is hooked up to eth0. Both
>AppleTalk (EtherTalk) to my printer and reaching out to the net work fine,
>mostly. I do get those stupid "can't allocate packet data" messages.
>
>So, IP Masq'ing does work with AppleTalk just fine, but is not sufficient to
>prevent those "packet data" errors. That's one data point. Perhaps someone
>using IP Masq'ing with Ethertap could help us narrow this one down.

I'm not using it, so I can't speak from experience, but in theory
using Ethertap should solve this. If you set up the kernel routing
correctly, only packets intended for MOL will go onto the Ethertap
interface. Therefore, sheep_net can't see any extraneous traffic,
and won't have as many overflows.

   Tim Seufert