Re: VNC driver

Subject: Re: VNC driver
From: Takashi Oe (toe@unlserve.unl.edu)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 22:24:51 MDT

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Patrick Berge wrote:

> So how is this different then running the MacOS VNC Server from inside MOL? I
> don't understand why one would need a VNC patch when the VNC Mac Server software
> works fine from inside MOL.

In theory, MOL VNC driver should work much better than vnc on mac on mol
on linux.

I don't know how Mac VNC server operates, but I'm guessing that something
similar to steps below occurs:

Mac OS events -> Mac VNC intercepts -> Mac OS tries to send VNC data
-> MOL is called upon from Mac OS -> Linux sends VNC data

With VNC driver, the second and third steps are eliminated.

My experience seems to confirm this, by the way, even with a pre-release
version of VNC driver. On a local machine, vnc driver worked almost as
well as xvideo, while vnc on mac on mol on linux was noticeably slower
than xvideo.

Also, Mac VNC server can't possibly intercepts every single thing
happenning on Mac OS, while it is possible with VNC driver, although I
don't know if it makes any difference.

Well, try it and see. Once support for many of encoding/decoding methods
are added to the driver, it should work well for remote MOL.

Takashi Oe