Can MOL crash Linux?? (and Etertap probs)

Subject: Can MOL crash Linux?? (and Etertap probs)
From: Riccardo Gusso (rick@leonardo.math.unipd.it, grick@mac.com)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 18:18:01 MDT

I thought that one of the main features of Linux was the protected memory
and the multitasking, and so the impossibility of a complete crash, but I
had to change my mind two times tonight running MOL. I was trying to set
up Ethertap and get a connection from the Linux side to the MacOS side of
my iMac (btw, I didn't succeded in it; I followed the suggestions in the
Michael A. Peters [http://216.22.163.20/Linux_Pages/mol.shtml] and Brad
Midgley [http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/] pages but when I tried to
ping from one side to the other I got no response. Am I missing
something? Every suggestions is welcomed) and in two occasions when I
tried to ping the Linux side with Anarchie, the MacOS crashed and there
was no chance to switch to a different console to stop the MOL process,
no button of my keyboard responded, and I had to use a clip to restart
the iMac as I am used to do a lot of times before installing Linux. Does
it depends on the fact that MOL runs natively on the processor? I'm
running YellowDog CS 1.1 with kernel updated to 2.2.15-2.9.0.
Bye.
    Rick

"And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
 What can I possibly say?
 I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
 I'm glad you stood in my way."
      L. Cohen, "Famous blue raincoat"