Re: Can MOL crash Linux?? (and Etertap probs)

Subject: Re: Can MOL crash Linux?? (and Etertap probs)
From: Christian Jaeger (christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 03:27:33 MDT

At 2:18 Uhr +0200 14.5.2000, Riccardo Gusso wrote:
>I thought that one of the main features of Linux was the protected memory
>and the multitasking, and so the impossibility of a complete crash, but I
>had to change my mind two times tonight running MOL. I was trying to set

Basically that should be true. Normally if MacOS under MOL crashes, you can
switch to linux using Ctrl-Cmd-F7 (or Ctrl-Cmd-F1 etc) if you run MOL in a
console and kill MOL (half a year ago, there was a problem (now corrected)
with MOL hanging in some virtual console related stuff sometimes, so the
system appeared to hang but was still accessible over the net). Of course,
if the kernel itself crashes (I'm experiencing that more that I'd like)
that's another story.

>up Ethertap and get a connection from the Linux side to the MacOS side of
>my iMac (btw, I didn't succeded in it; I followed the suggestions in the
>Michael A. Peters [http://216.22.163.20/Linux_Pages/mol.shtml] and Brad
>Midgley [http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/] pages but when I tried to
>ping from one side to the other I got no response. Am I missing
>something? Every suggestions is welcomed) and in two occasions when I

I use the following script (I've put it into a file
/usr/local/sbin/ifup-local) for connecting MOL with Linux when Linux will
be connected to the internet over PPP. Call it like 'ifup-local eth0'
(don't do a 'ifup eth0' *afterwards*). Note that your kernel has to be
compiled with IP masquerading support! (you probably have to compile your
own.)

--------------------------
#!/bin/bash
# From: Martin Costabel <Martin.Costabel@univ-rennes1.fr>
# From http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/99/30/index3a_page5.html?tw=backend

if [ "foo$1" != "fooeth0" ]
then
        echo 'ifup-local von cj: Muesch eth0 aagää!'
    exit
fi

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 arp broadcast
192.168.1.255
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ
# If you telnet a lot, this will stop your connections from timing out at
# inconvenient times.
/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60

# Configuring client systems is simple. Your default gateway should be
# 192.168.1.1, which is the address assigned to the second network card
# on the Linux machine. Subnet mask is
# 255.255.255.0, and nameservice is your ISP's nameserver
# (or your local nameserver if you have one)
--------------------------

If you are connected to the internet through ethernet, use this instead:

--------------------------
#!/bin/bash
# This assumes that eth0 and eth0:1 are the net devices
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0
        # the above is to ensure that eth0 is up before assigning the
eth0:1 address
/sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 arp broadcast
192.168.1.255
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ
# If you telnet a lot, this will stop your connections from timing out at
# inconvenient times.
/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60

Christian.