Re: Can MOL crash Linux?? (and Etertap probs)

Subject: Re: Can MOL crash Linux?? (and Etertap probs)
From: Brian Foddy (bkfoddy@soc.nwa.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 07:47:02 MDT

Whenever you say impossible...

First it depends on what you call crash. It is easily possible
for a Linux application to hose up your X desktop in such a way that
you can't do anything from the console. Usually in this case the
OS is still running fine in the background and if you can access
the machine via telnet over the network you can gracefully kill
the offending process and recover your session. This isn't frequent
but when you start using programs that do funky things with the console
and Xserver, anything is possible.

Secondly specifically to MOL, it includes two kernel drivers that
are hooked directly into the kernel. This area is always assumed to
be sacred and bug-free. But if a nasty bug does occur down in the
kernel, anything can happen. Having said that, I don't think there
are any nasty driver level bugs in MOL as I've used it for 7 months now
without crashing anything. But each user/install may be different.