MOL and BootX

Subject: MOL and BootX
From: Warren Nagourney (warren@dirac.phys.washington.edu)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 13:43:14 MDT

Hello,

I have just installed LinuxPPC 2k (from the CD) on a beige G3/400 with 288
meg of ram. I am trying to get MOL working and have the following
questions. Even though some of them seem to have been addressed on this
list, I still can't seem to get MOL to work. Thanks in advance for any help.

First, I am using BootX from MacOS 8.6 on a HFS+ partition. I installed all
of the kernels, including one specially patched for MOL, in the system
folder. I also installed the latest version of MOL. When I run MOL
(startmol) with the standard kernel, the attempt to patch the kernel fails
(I am sorry I don't have access to the exact messages it gives me).
Actually, I don't know how it can patch the kernel which is on an HFS+
partition and LinuxPPC doesn't access HFS+ (or so I thought).

I then tried using the MOL kernel. The system doesn't boot, since there is
a lack of synchronization between the system map and the kernel. How do I
resolve this?

Regarding the ROMs, I wasn't able to use the strip_nwr (or whatever it is)
command. I assume again that the problem is the HFS+ partition. I then
inserted an OS9 CD (even though I am using 8.6 - I don't have an 8.6 CD) in
the CD drive and managed to get the rom that way. Will this system mismatch
cause problems?

I realize that the ROM retrieval and kernel patch problems make up most of
what is being discussed on this list (seemingly), but I haven't been able
to use any of the numerous posts on these issues. Any help appreciated.

-cheers,

Warren Nagourney

Warren Nagourney <warren@dirac.phys.washington.edu> Voice: 206-543-9585
University of Washington 206-543-0143
Physics Dept., Box 351560, Seattle, WA 98195 Fax: 206-685-0635