Re: MOL and BootX

Subject: Re: MOL and BootX
From: Bhagwati P Gupta (bpgupta@its.caltech.edu)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 08:10:08 MDT

Warren Nagourney wrote:

> I then tried using the MOL kernel. The system doesn't boot, since there is
> a lack of synchronization between the system map and the kernel. How do I
> resolve this?
>
> Regarding the ROMs, I wasn't able to use the strip_nwr (or whatever it is)
> command. I assume again that the problem is the HFS+ partition. I then
> inserted an OS9 CD (even though I am using 8.6 - I don't have an 8.6 CD) in
> the CD drive and managed to get the rom that way. Will this system mismatch
> cause problems?

Copy the kernel from mac to linux partition (in binary) somewhere such as in
/boot. This should be the same one you have been using to boot linux. Rename
the kernel something like 'vmlinux'. Then do -

startmol /boot/vmlinux

This will create a temporary system.map file to run mol. If this is alright
then take a look at your /etc/molrc file to make some changes according to your
needs.

Good luck.
Bhagwati