Re: mol, ethertap, ipchains.. protocol not avilable??

Subject: Re: mol, ethertap, ipchains.. protocol not avilable??
sa@space.itacs.to
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 01:34:21 MDT

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 07:45:14PM -0400, Alex J. Avriette wrote:
> At 12:32 PM -0700 5/30/00, Tom wrote:
> >And ls /dev/tap0" shows an existent device?
>
> yup. the mknod command creates the /dev/tap0 device every time. and
> ifconfig doesnt show it existing. its a real puzzle for me!
>
> alex

It sounds liek you don't have a kernel with tap support. If you know
ethertap is compiled in, make sure you are booting the kernel that you
think you are. dmesg should tell you if its in your kernel, unless of
course its compiled as a module. If so try an 'insmod -k ethertap'. If
thats not it, I have no clue.

HTH
sa