Re: mac apps that run well under MOL?

Subject: Re: mac apps that run well under MOL?
From: David Block (dblock@gene.pbi.nrc.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 10:28:55 MST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Geoff Ghose wrote:

> Sridhar Anandakrishnan wrote:
>
> > Hi, is there a list of apps that runs well under MOL. I got Word to
> > run fine, but Illustrator got as far as the splash screen, and as it
> > was loading plugins, etc, MOL produced a continuous printout of
> > "illegal call" errors (unfortunately I didn't write down the exact
> > phrase - I will next time I get back to the machine...).
>
> I use both Illustrator 8 and 9 all the time within MOL (since version 0.9.41) I even run
> the programs off remote AppleShare drives without problem. I would suggest that your
> Illustrator installation got screwed up somehow.
>

> > But is there a database of peoples' experiences with MOL and mac apps?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sridhar.
>
> Although I don't use the Mac OS that much, I can further state that I have encountered NO
> applications that had problems in MOL that were problem-free in native Mac OS.
>
> Applications used: WordPerfect, ClarisWorks, Netscape 4.74-6, RealPlayer, QuickTime
> Player, StatView, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, GrayAmp, Stuffit, VNC Viewer,
> MacLinkPlus, EndNote.
> Plus host of third party extensions like Power Windows, Be Hierarchic, Finder Pop, Default
> Folder, and Kaleidoscope.
>
> In my experience, if it doesn't work in MOL it doesn't work in native Mac OS either.

Hey, I've got Madden NFL 2000 running on MOL! I don't get OpenGL (darn!),
but if anything, it's more stable than it was on my 9.0.4 (I had problems
with changing monitor resolutions). I can use sound (maybe a bit of a
delay), 1024x768 with 16-bit colour, and it's very playable (Go
Jaguars! They're having a considerably better season on my computer than
in real life).

Just thought I'd share.

--
David Block