Re: lpr and likely mol/ethertap bug

Subject: Re: lpr and likely mol/ethertap bug
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 16:18:31 MST

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 03:33:11PM -0500, R Shapiro wrote:
> I don't know what macos is actually sending, since I don't have packet
> trace tool for macos. If it's sending <02><queue name><lf>, that's
> some weird bug in the desktop printer. If it's sending the right
> sequence but linux is receiving the wrong one, that's definitely an
> ethertap bug, or a problem with the way mol is interacting with
> ethertap.
>
> Samuel, are you following all this? Is it possible to get a packet
> trace from macos in mol to find out what macos thinks it's sending?

What the mac-side driver sees should be identical to what is forwarded
into the tap/sheep_net driver (most easily dumped by inserting printfs
in the MOL source - at least in the sheep_net case tcpdump might
not tell the full story).

So far, I've found out the following:

- lpd spooling from MOL fails if printing is done to a local
queue.

- lpd spooling from MOL works if printing is done to a non-local
queue (effectively eliminating MacOS as a suspect). But - this is
true only if the sheep_net driver is used. I've not succeeded in
printing to a remote host using masqueraded tap0 (but telnet
and ftp work).

What should be done is examining in detail what the difference
is when the lpd queue is local and when it is remote (the mac-side
can't distinguish between the two cases). There is magic code
in sheep_net to handle reception of packets addressed to the
local host, but since tap0 doesn't work either the problem might
be elsewhere.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470