Re: lpr and likely mol/ethertap bug

Subject: Re: lpr and likely mol/ethertap bug
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 05:05:56 MST

Samuel Rydh writes:
> What the mac-side driver sees should be identical to what is forwarded
> into the tap/sheep_net driver

Unless there are, say, buffering errors or the like in the driver.
Ethertap uses a pipe, is that right?

> - lpd spooling from MOL fails if printing is done to a local
> queue.

Looks like no one has gotten this to work, at least not with
ethertap.

> - lpd spooling from MOL works if printing is done to a non-local
> queue (effectively eliminating MacOS as a suspect). But - this is
> true only if the sheep_net driver is used. I've not succeeded in
> printing to a remote host using masqueraded tap0

The one successful test I ran used sheep_net to a remote queue, in
fact to same linux queue that fails when local mol tries to talk to
it. I haven't tried remote lpr via ethertap (or local lpr via
sheep_net).

> (but telnet and ftp work).

Also http, ssh, and in the reverse direction, X between ethertap mol
and linux on the same box. In general the ethertap device seems to
work well, both locally and masqueraded.

I have had problems with ntp (udp time sync) but I haven't spent
anytime figuring out what's going wrong in that case.

If you need me to run any experiments, just ask ...

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net