networking with mol

Subject: networking with mol
From: Gérard Degrez (degrez@vki.ac.be)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 03:33:59 MST

Hi,

I would like to do some networking with mol. For this purpose, I've
been looking at the various MOL FAQs including
http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/
but, as I am a beginner, I would like some clarifications.

* I understand that it's possible to set up a virtual LAN consisting
of MOL/LinuxPPC via the virtual etertap device.
Question: how does one choose the IP addresses of the LAN? Is it
arbitrary or are there rules to follow? In the mail by Takashi Oe in
Brad Midgley's MOL FAQ, LinuxPPC and MOL are assigned the IP numbers
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively. Can these same numbers be
used?
* Takashi Oe mentions he builds a kernel with ethertap and masquerade
supports (the latter to be able to bridge between the LAN and a PPP
connexion. Don't mol patched kernels include ethertap support by
default?
* If I want to run AppleTalk between MOL and LinuxPPC, I need to use
tap0 as the network interface for netatalk. From what I could
understand from a message of Samuel Rydh, this requires that the tap
device be recompiled with multicast support, right? Could someone
give me detailed instructions on how to do this?
* Finally, I guess that the virtual LAN could also be bridged to an
ethernet network as schematized herebelow, isn't it?

> Mac OS/MOL <-+-> tap0 <--> IP masquerade <--> eth0 <-+-> ethernet
> 192.168.0.2 | 192.168.0.1 static IP address |

I admit that a much simpler solution is to have a second static IP
address for MOL, but I am wondering whether the pevious solution
would work.

Gérard Degrez