Re: rmmod mol

Subject: Re: rmmod mol
From: Bill Fink (billfink@capu.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 11:16:11 MST

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Bill Fink wrote:
>
> > Samuel Rydh wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, I noticed that I can no longer "rmmod mol", as it indicates
> > > it's busy, even though I shut down MOL normally. I was wondering
> > > if this was something we had to live with now, or if it might be
> > > something easy to fix.
> >
> > Well, this happens if mol exits without properly cleaning up.
> > There is a small utility 'kunload' in the mol source which
> > decreases the busy counter. It is not in the RPM though.
>
> OK and thanks, the kunload does the trick. However, when I do
> a special shutdown within MOL, there's no evidence in the log
> output that it had any particular problem cleaning up. Here's
> all the output from the shutdown process:
>
> <*> DriveControlCmd IGNORED -1
> <*> Gestalt selector 'ejec' skipped (unit==NULL)
> <*> Gestalt selector 'ejec' skipped (unit==NULL)
> <*> Gestalt selector 'ejec' skipped (unit==NULL)
> <*> Gestalt selector 'ejec' skipped (unit==NULL)
> <*> Gestalt selector 'ejec' skipped (unit==NULL)
> cleaning up...

A followup to the above. Here's the output of saving the MOL
session using F12:

Unsafe state detected
cleaning up...
Terminating threads...
DONE

First, is the "Unsafe state detected" message anything to worry
about? I noticed this when I first started using this new feature
but never bothered to ask about it before. BTW, I find the new
save feature extremely handy, especially on my relatively slow
6500 system at home.

Second, after doing the save, the module count for mol is 0,
so the problem only manifests itself during an actual shutdown,
which seems rather odd.

                                                -Bill Fink