Network questions

Subject: Network questions
From: Andrew Reid (AndrewReid@hfx.andara.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 11:16:55 MST

Two questions for the users and gurus of MOL. I would be interested in
knowing if anyone has seen the following work, or even if they think that it
should, or *especially* if they know that it won't. I'm asking these
questions as I presently do not have access to any machines to try them:

a) A 9.0.4 OS on a recent machine (cube or 450) with a fixed Ethernet
address different from the underlying Linux.

b) On a home LAN I have a router/firewall which has a DHCP server. If i use
the tap device, I see that the "Mac" thinks it has a mac address of
00:00:DE:AD:BE:EF. Does this escape to the net or does the MOL kernel trap
this? Can I use DHCP on the Mac side as well as the Linux side (getting two
IPs). If this doesn't work I can fix the addresses as long as (a) above
works.

I have tried briefly to set up ip_masq'ing on the Linux side ( beige G3,
2.2.17pre20benh3 kernel, MacOs 8.6, latest MOL) to share a single IP but
without much joy. I will re-read the archive and ask questions later.