Re: MOL and copy / paste

Subject: Re: MOL and copy / paste
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 10:27:50 MST

Peter M. Bagnall writes:
> I've thought about this for just copy/paste between different computers.
> You could write a little Java app which you paste into and can then paste
> out of in the other OS. A bit messy but might just work.

Good idea, in fact I just wrote it :) But the java clipboard support
in X isn't working as I would have expected (and as it does in MacOS).
I'll have to track the problem down later.

What I just wrote works with a server in MacOS and a client in linux.
The client is a little java gui with a text box and two buttons, "Get"
and "Put". The transfer happens between the text box and the MacOS
clipboard: "Put" copies the contents of the text box to the MacOS
clipboard, "Get" copies the contents of the MacOS clipboard to the
text box.

For now nothing manipulates the X clipboard directly. But for
applications that support their own cut/paste you should have no
problem moving text between those apps and the java text box.

If you want to try it, I'll send you the jar file and a README. To
use it you'll need java installed in linux, and both MRJ and JBindery
in MacOS. Here's the README:

--

Run the server in MacOS using JBindery. The classpath is rclip.jar, the class is rs.rclip.RemoteClipImpl. No other arguments are required.

Once thes server is started, run the client in linux:

java -classpath rclip.jar rs.rclip.Gui <host>

where <host> is the ip name or ip addr of MacOS.

The "Get" button gets the clipboard text in MacOS (if any), the "Put" button sets the clipboard text in MacOS. Closing the window exits the client.

-- reshapiro@mediaone.net