Re: MOL on Powerbook, 603ev

Subject: Re: MOL on Powerbook, 603ev
From: Bob Kehoe (kehoe@rotse2.physics.lsa.umich.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 13:36:14 MST

Hi all,

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Claus wrote:

> hm..
> IIRC there was a nice serial/macserial patch later needed for serial pcmcia
> cards and then the new input layer, so there's no real need to switch to a
> newer kernel regarding it's a 3400. No need for MOL. Otherwise seems rsync
> to be a smart way to stay up-to-date, 'cause it d/l only the differences
> between your old src and the latest one. That shouldn't stress your HD.

I do remember that trying to install pmac-stable put a whole bunch of
files in place for pcmcia for different architectures -- alpha, intel,
etc... I think part of my problem is that I had no source code in my area
at the time so no differencing was able to happen -- the whole set of
files was copied over. Other than that, rsync did work well. If I could
count on it not downloading too much stuff, it would be better. I take
it, though, that from the mol perspective there is no reason to think that
the newer kernel will help me beyond 2.2.14?

> >: > you have a clean base 9.0.4 extension-config for MOL?
> >: >
> >:
> >: Ah, an interesting question. The mac side never gets to creating a blank
>
> if 'dmesg' gives you this line:
> adb devices: [2]: 2 14 [3]: 3 1
>
> check your keyboard line in molrc and make sure it says:
>
> keyboard_id: 20
>
> then give startmol a try with 'shift' pressed as you know from MacOS.
> If it does not start with 'extensions off' you can start from your CD.
> Remember the first 'blkdev:' line in the row is your startup disk.
> If all that fails, blaim
> - the wrong ROM for your MOL ?
> - your molrc ?

Okay, so I tried this with no luck. When I run dmesg, I get the
following:

adb devices: [2]: 2 18 [3]: 3 1

instead of what you expected above (ie. I have an 18 where you expected a
14). In any case, I changed my keyboard ID in molrc to 20 (it was 2!) and
I got the same freezing behavior as before. I then tried an ID of 18,
since that's what dmesg returned, but I got the same behavior again (ie.
freezing). This happened whether or not I pressed 'shift' or not, or
whether I tried to boot from CD or my hardrive Mac OS partition (by
re-ordering the blkdev lines in molrc).

I'm not sure how it could be the wrong ROM for my MOL, so I am really
starting to think my molrc is screwed up. Does anybody have any
suggestions about parameters I might need to tweak?

                                Thanks a bunch,

                                        Bob