Re: networking

Subject: Re: networking
From: Jens Schmalzing (jens@tac.dk)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 08:41:10 MST

Hi,

Gérard Degrez writes:

> - I guess the virtual network can only consist of the virtual MacOS
> machine and of the LinuxPPC machine, right?

I think so. At least, the whole purpose of this exercise is to have
two separate virtual machines running through a single physical
network device, while still appearing fully independent.

> - If the LinuxPPC machine was on a "real" LAN, one could assign a
> LAN static IP address to MOL and use eth0 as the netdev for MOL.
> Then comes the question of the router for "real" LANs: is it
> possible to use a LinuxPPC machine as router between a "real" LAN
> and the Internet (even if the connection to the Internet is through
> the same network card)?

You can assign several IP addresses to a single network device in
Linux. This is called IP aliasing. In my case, in Linux the onboard
ethernet device (eth0) of my machine is assigned its IP address for
the outside world (130.225.238.228), and an alias (eth0:0) gets the IP
adress (192.168.0.1) for the virtual network. Also, Linux is
configured as masquerading router and nameserver for the virtual
network (192.168). MOL is started with the `netdev eth0'
configuration option, gets its own IP adress (192.168.0.2) on the
virtual network, and uses the Linux address as nameserver and router.
I keep a location for that setup in the Location Manager of MacOS, so
I can easily switch when I run MacOS directly.

Running a router and nameserver for just two virtual machines may seem
like an overkill, but it was relatively painless to set up in Debian
and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je pézqbpbe le djuz tqtaj!