networking

Subject: networking
From: Gérard Degrez (degrez@vki.ac.be)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 09:09:43 MST

Hi,

Thanks to the recommendations of list members, I've got the virtual
LAN over ethertap and masquerading working nicely.

But I am still wondering a few things:
- I guess the virtual LAN can only consist of the virtual MacOS
machine and of the LinuxPPC machine, right?
- If the LinuxPPC machine was on a "real" LAN, one could assign a LAN
static IP address to MOL and use eth0 as the netdev for MOL.
Then comes the question of the router for "real" LANs: is it possible
to use a LinuxPPC machine as router between a "real" LAN and the
Internet (even if the connection to the Internet is through the same
network card)? I am quite confuse about this because on one hand,
I've read that IP numbers are associated to devices, so I wouldn't
think a single device (eth0) could have two IP numbers, one for the
Internet, and another one for the LAN, but on the other hand, a
colleague of mine is doing exactly that, running a LAN of MacOS
machines with one of them serving as a router using the IPNetRouter
software (He actually ran successfully LinuxPPC and MOL on one of
these machines).
- If the LinuxPPC machine can serve as a router (over the eth0
device), would it be possible
* to connect MOL to the LAN via a LAN static IP address on eth0, or
* to connect MOL to the LAN via a LAN static IP address on the ethertap device

Please excuse the stupidity or naivety of (some of) those questions,
I am a beginner in these matters.

Gérard Degrez