MOL ate my partition!

Subject: MOL ate my partition!
From: Wilhelm Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 14:58:03 MST

I've been trying to get MOL 0.9.53 going on my PB3400. I'm using a
2.2.18pre21 kernel that I built myself against Debian potato. I built and
installed MOL from source. I'm using the 1.6 new world ROM that I
downloaaded from Apple. I have MacOS 8.6, installed on an HFS+ partition
(/dev/hda7), with a secondary smaller HFS partition (/dev/hda8).

I first tried to get MOL running in console mode, but the computer would
always freeze with a white screen after switching consoles, so i decided
to try for X mode.

My first attempt to boot in a X window failed after the MacOS splash came
up with an empty bomb box. The second produces a bomb box with the
message "This startup disk cannot be used with this machine".

The third time, /dev/hda7 was not recognized as an HFS/HFS+ partition!

As I feared, when I rebooted the machine, it gives me the blinky disk on
startup. I was starting Linux through BootX, so at this point I'm
effectively dead until I can find my MacOS install CD at home ;(

How hosed am I? Is there any chance I can repair my HFS+ partition? Or
can I wave goodbye to my (unbacked up) data ;(

-raf