Re: Must be root to patch the kernel

Subject: Re: Must be root to patch the kernel
From: Christian Jaeger (christian.jaeger@sl.ethz.ch)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 11:29:23 MDT

At 13:52 Uhr +0200 30.9.2000, anne et bertrand wrote:
>Fisrt question : Do I need to repatch the kernel source and recompile it
>for any new version of MOL ? There is actually no problem with my
>kernel, which compiled for 0.9.48.

No, since mol patches the kernel at runtime, you don't need to patch
sources. But you generally need to compile mol again (rebuild the src.rpm)
if you upgrade the kernel. (install new kernel sources/headers on
upgrading, too).

>Second problem : after booting my computer, I can't launch MOL without
>being root, because it has to patch the kernel. It's only possible to
>run MOL without being root later, after a fisrt-run of MOL as root. Is
>there any solution avoiding this condition ? Is this a security choice ?

Save the following as root to /usr/local/bin/startmol:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
%ENV=();
$<=$>;
exec '/usr/bin/startmol_original'

then:
chmod 755 startmol; chmod u+s startmol; mv /usr/bin/startmol
/usr/bin/startmol_original

This should not be a security problem. (except everybody is now able to
start mol)

>Fourth problem : it happened two times that Macos crashed when I
>switched from Mol's VT8 to VT7 during the start of an application in
>Macos. That's not a big problem, because Linux nor X didn't crash, but

(Has happened to me too)

christian.