Re: Must be root to patch the kernel

Subject: Re: Must be root to patch the kernel
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 15:39:54 MDT

>Second problem : after booting my computer, I can't launch MOL without
>being root, because it has to patch the kernel. It's only possible to
>run MOL without being root later, after a fisrt-run of MOL as root. Is
>there any solution avoiding this condition ? Is this a security choice ?

I run the patch as a init script, which is run as root at boot time. That
way by the time I get to run MOL as a user it works just fine. But I'm
still on MOL 0.9.41 or so so your mileage may vary.

If you'd like I can send you the script I use, but you'd almost certainly
have to derive your own version from the 0.9.48 patch routine (I'm assuming
they've changed, which they may not have done). I can't remember now
exactly how I did it, but I do remember it wasn't too hard.

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/