I really hate sounding stupid, but...

Subject: I really hate sounding stupid, but...
From: Bruce Thompson (Bruce_Thompson@palm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 16:31:01 MDT

Hi,
     I've got a PowerBook G3 200 (Pismo, I believe) that I want to
have running Linux with MacOS running under Mac-on-Linux. I'm having
an a great deal of difficulty getting everything working.

     Just for context, I've been running Linux on various x86 boxen
since the 0.99 days. I've also been using Macs of various flavors
since 1994. This has me stumped though.

     Surely there is a Howto somewhere for both configuring Linux
(LinuxPPC, YellowDog, Debian, frankly it doesn't matter to me which
one so long as I can get things up and running) and for setting up
MOL on this box. I've yet to find a definitive source for this info
though. Please tell me someone has done this before! Getting Linux up
and running really hasn't been that big a problem, getting X to run
with more than 8-bit depth has not been successful, yet; and getting
MOL to do anything more than spawn around 15 processes and sit there
with a blank screen (at best). The wierdest thing so far was when I
tried to run it in a VC and somehow the keyboard got remapped so it
only sent control characters. Now _that_ was odd :-).

     Like I said, I hate sounding stupid (feeling stupid is something
I've grown accustomed to :-)). If I've missed something obvious then
please point me in the right direction, and if it's stupidly obvious
then I'll tatto "I'm a total idiot" on my forehead. Well, not really,
but you know what I mean.

        Cheers,
        Bruce.

Bruce Thompson		| "Pinkie! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Software Engineer	| "I think so Brain, but if they called them Sad
Partner Engineering	|  Meals kids wouldn't buy them!"
Palm, Inc.