Re: Off-Topic: What happened to System.map? [was Re: [Fwd: Downloading newversion of MOL]]

Subject: Re: Off-Topic: What happened to System.map? [was Re: [Fwd: Downloading newversion of MOL]]
From: Martin Costabel (costabel@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:25:12 MDT

phandel@cise.ufl.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, [iso-8859-1] Gérard Degrez wrote:
>
> > I've experienced the same problem because in the SuSE distrib, the
> > system map file is named System.map-2.2.14. I solved it by creating a
> > soft link to that file with the name System.map
>
> I remember in the 2.2 series, when the kernel booted, it would create the
> correct soft link to the current System.map-2.x.x. This hasn't been
> happening in recent 2.4-test builds. Anyone know why?

The symlink is created by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, at least by some
versions of it. I have the one from initscripts-5.35-1a, and it creates
the symlink at boot time, provided it finds /boot/System.map-`uname -r`.
During boot time, the System.map is searched for and read by
/sbin/klogd. The kernel itself has nothing to do with this.

--
Martin