Re: Troubles with 0.9-5.2

Subject: Re: Troubles with 0.9-5.2
From: Anne et Bertrand (anneetbertrand@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 14:56:30 MDT

Anne et Bertrand wrote:

> I've got some problem with the new version. I was running mol-0.9-50 on
> a 603 machine before.
> I didn't recompile my kernel (it was done with 0.9-48 kernel-patch).
> With the last version :
> 1-it doesn't run with the new version of nw-nvram, only with my old one.
> 2-with mol, mac is unusable because it's much too slow.  At the end of
> macos boot, I've an undefinitily repeated warning message in my
> terminal(which explains the low-speed of macos) : "sound, osip_write:
> Not Started!". I haven't upgraded the mol audio extension yet, but I've
> removed the old one, turned the sound off in molrc and then tryed to
> restart mol but it doesn't change anything.
> It's getting to late for me to find a solution tonight. If someone
> have... thank you
>
> Bertrand Dekoninck

Mol now runs quite well, with the mol-audio extension given in the
image-disk at startup on Macos-desktop. Some remarks : I've had the same
kind of problem with the Mol-audio extension given on the web-site of
Mol, even if it is presented as an archive of Mol-audio-0.9-52. With it,
Mol could start but I got the infinitly repeated "sound, osip_write: Not
Started" when I tried to modify the sound settings (in order to have
sound) in the sound control panel.
By the way, I never could decompress the archives given on the website
until I upgraded today Stuffit Expander to the 5.1.2 version. It would
have been cool if it had been told on the web site. If it was, I
would'nt have thought that these archives were always corrupted , or
that my Stuffit programs was itself corrupted...

Now, mol works fine (it seems to me that the video is a little bit
slower than before, but I may fail) with the same problem as in 0.9-50
version : when I try to modify the sound volume, I lose the sound.
Second problem : F12 key is really cool... but when you modify a volume
after having save the session with it, you must be a super-user to be
able to launch mol again : it is necessary to remove the file
/tmp/mol_session and you can't do this if you haven't the root password.
It might be bad, when multiple users share the same linuxbox without
having this password. Isn't it possible to make this file saved with the
permissions of the owner of the session within mol had been launched ?
Or to let him be saved with very large permissions, so that any user
could erase it ?

Last question : I finally decompress the Mol-Drivers archive on the web
site. What could I do with it ? What is the purpose of the SerialDriver
folder ? I can load osiserialin.nw and osiserialout.nw with the
Load_PCIdriver applications. I can then find that serial ports with the
FindSerialPort application. But there is still no Printer Port and no
Modem port in the Selector and I can't print on my printer port. So,
what is the use of this ? And the other folders ?

Thank you for your attention
Bertrand Dekoninck.