Re: I really hate sounding stupid, but...

Subject: Re: I really hate sounding stupid, but...
From: Bruce Thompson (Bruce_Thompson@palm.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 20:27:23 MDT

Hi!
     I'm feeling distinctly less stupid now! Thanks for your hints,
they have me 99% of the way there.

     I'm writing this on Eudora, running on MacOS 9.0.4 on MOL 0.9.52
running on LinuxPPC 2000 with 2.2.17pre20-ben3. Now for the tricky
part, I've got ethertap up and running with ipchains set up for a
masquerading firewall. Meanwhile my PowerBook is sitting on my home
network which is behind yet another maswuerading firewall on my x86
Linux box. Running through all of this is a VPN session from MacOS
through two masquerades out to the corporate LAN where my work email
server resides (I'm subscribed through my work address). Whew!

     I haven't tried plugging in my FireWire drive yet, so I'm
crossing my fingers there. I don't mind if Linux doesn't see it, but
it would sure be nice if MacOS can see the drive and my digital
camera too.

     The one thing that doesn't seem to be quite working right is
keyboard sharing. If I fire up MOL in a console window then suddenly
X loses the keyboard. Likewise it seems that if I restart X and it
reacquires the keyboard then MOL suddenly loses the mouse and the
keyboard. I haven't confirmed the latter, but I can repeat the former
at will. I don't see any indications of an error either in MOL's
output or in the logs from X. So this has me scratching my head a
bit. If anyone has any insight or ideas to try I'll be glad to hear
them. Meanwhile I'll just remember to shut down MacOS before running
X and vice-versa.

     I did try running MOL in an X-Window, but I wasn't completely
thrilled at the prospect of having to shrink my Mac desktop to fit. I
may fiddle with it more later, but for now this is great!

     Thanks for all your help!

        Cheers,
        Bruce.