Strange video problems: a bug in molvconfig?

Subject: Strange video problems: a bug in molvconfig?
From: Riccardo Gusso (grick@mac.com, grick@libero.it)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 15:19:15 MDT

I upgraded from 0.9.47; before I had no problems to start Mol from a
console and to have it riunning in full screen.
The first time the new release started but the screen became black and
the startup ended here. Then I patiently read a lot of digests of this
mailing-list, and discovered that others had the same problems and solved
it by using the old nvram.nw file. So I did, and got Mol to start
properly. But now the strangeness: when I run molvconfig all misc.modes
don't work, so my only chances are the /etc/fb.modes.
Then, if I test only the 1024x768-75 mode, all depths work, and I can
start Mol with no problems, but obvously then I have no other chances to
select screen resolutions in MacOs Monitor control.
If I test the 800x600-95 mode too, all depths work again, and molvconfig
successfully writes the /usr/lib/mol/config/vmodes file. But now during
the startup of MacOs the screen goes soon black again, and even if I hear
that the startup is going on I can do nothing anymore.
So I run again molvconfig, I test only the 1024x768-75 mode, and all
works again.
But I would like to run in 800x600!
My configuration: iMac rev.B (233 Mhz) with Ati Rage Pro; YellowDog CS
1.2 with B. Herrenschmidt 2.2.17pre20-3 kernel an Xpmac as X server.
Looking for help.
Bye to everybody.
          Rick

"And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
 What can I possibly say?
 I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
 I'm glad you stood in my way."
      L. Cohen, "Famous blue raincoat"