Video

Subject: Video
From: Gérard Degrez (degrez@vki.ac.be)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 08:42:14 MST

Hi,

A great many thanks to Bertrand Dekoninck, who clarified a number a
points regarding the setting of video modes with mol (I stick to
version 0.9.50-1 so far). So, I did what he suggested (setting the
video depth in lunux to 16 bit, setting the resolution in molrc to
800/600/75 and the color depth to 16), ... and everything worked fine
in xvideo mode (enable_xvideo) option. It also worked OK in full
screen mode (enable_console_video), i.e. mol started and the Mac
desktop appeared in the console, except that then the mouse didn't
work. I guess that I should set the mouse_device parameter to
/dev/usbmouse, right? Note that I could see the Mac desktop all
right, even though the resolution settings were different from the
linux settings (1024/768/75) and I think my video driver is Kpmac
(the kde variant of Xpmac?). But the actual resolution was 1024/768
rather than the specified 800/600.

On the other hand, I remain quite perplex with respect to the video
acceleration issue.
With the iMac, I use yaboot as os-chooser and so far, I don't include
append = "video=aty128fb"
in yaboot.conf. I use the X video driver config files as created by
the YaST utility from SuSE. This allows me to use different
resolution settings in MacOS (800/600/95) and linux (1024/768/75).
So, I am wondering whether I should worry about video acceleration.

A final remark: the one and half click didn't appear to work. Is that normal?

Gérard Degrez