Re: LPR from Mac to linux?

Subject: Re: LPR from Mac to linux?
From: David Wagner (wagner@math.uh.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 08:49:20 MST

on 10/30/00 6:11 AM, R Shapiro at reshapiro@mediaone.net wrote:

> David Wagner writes:
>> When you configure the printer in the Desktop Printer Utility, make sure
>> that you put in the IP address or domain name of the print serving Linux
>> box. Also enter in the name of the queue as listed in the Linux box's
>> /etc/printcap file.
>
> Should this approach work with a local Epson 740 usb? I haven't had
> any luck. I used the 'lpr' option and 'generic' ppd in the Desktop
> Printer Utility. The MacOS local net address (192.168.1.2) is in
> /etc/hosts.lpd, lpd is running on the usual tcp port, and in general
> tcp is fine between MacOS and linux. Any attempt to print from MacOS
> tells me the printer can't be found (error -8885).

I remembered one more thing. It is very subtle. In the File Sharing
control panel, there is an item for computer name. Make sure this makes
sense as a domain name, as in george.john.com or whatever--*Not*
"George's Powerbook". You may even need to make sure the domain name is
actually assigned to the IP address you are using.

Someone at Apple told me that the RFC for lpr actually allows Apple-style
computer names, but most implementations ignore this and require a TCP/IP
style domain name.

David Wagner