Re: LPR from Mac to linux?

Subject: Re: LPR from Mac to linux?
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 05:11:44 MST

David Wagner writes:
> When you configure the printer in the Desktop Printer Utility, make sure
> that you put in the IP address or domain name of the print serving Linux
> box. Also enter in the name of the queue as listed in the Linux box's
> /etc/printcap file.

Should this approach work with a local Epson 740 usb? I haven't had
any luck. I used the 'lpr' option and 'generic' ppd in the Desktop
Printer Utility. The MacOS local net address (192.168.1.2) is in
/etc/hosts.lpd, lpd is running on the usual tcp port, and in general
tcp is fine between MacOS and linux. Any attempt to print from MacOS
tells me the printer can't be found (error -8885).

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net