Re: LPR from Mac to linux?

Subject: Re: LPR from Mac to linux?
From: David Wagner (wagner@math.uh.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 21:36:49 MST

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Eduard Hoenkamp wrote:

> What do I need to do on the linux side to get Mac's LPR print jobs in
> my Linux queue?

> At home I used Apple's 'desktop printing utility' to let my Mac spool
> to my Linux box at work (correct IP, correct DPS file). As follows:
>
> ----------------- -------------- --------------
> | Mac OS at home | | First Linux | | Second linux |
> | spooling to LPR | ==> | (at work) | ==> | (has printer)|
> ----------------- -------------- --------------
>
> When I print on the MacOS side, I get error -5750. I cannot find out
> what that means. I would like to hear from someone who has printed
> from the MacOS LPR queue to linux.

When you configure the printer in the Desktop Printer Utility, make sure
that you put in the IP address or domain name of the print serving Linux
box. Also enter in the name of the queue as listed in the Linux box's
/etc/printcap file.

This really works, but the documentation for lpr printing from the MacOS
is poor. The suggestions from Ewen Bell about debugging on the Linux side
also looked good. I suggest really trying to make lpr work before you
start trying netatalk and papd.

I presume that you have permission problems sending lpr jobs directly to
the print spooler, and that is why you are using your own linux box
as an intermediary. Do you have lpd running on your office linux box
so that it can receive the print job from the mac?

David Wagner