Re: Netatalk

Subject: Re: Netatalk
From: Gérard Degrez (degrez@vki.ac.be)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 09:05:49 MST

> > Could someone tell me how to configure netatalk to allow MOL to mount a
>> linux partition? The main question is which network interface should be
>> specified in atalkd.conf (I am not sure of the name, I don't have the doc
>> in front of me)? Usually, it's the network card eth0, but in this case, I
>> would guess it's different (I wouldn't think linux and MOL would
>> communicate through the network card) but what (ethertap?)?
>
>If you are connected to an ethernet network, eth0 is the correct
>device (otherwise you'll have to use tap0).
>
>Note that it necessary to recompile the tap device with multicast
>support (a #define in the source) in order to run AppleTalk
>on it.

Samuel, many thanks for the info, but I fear it's a little too
compact for me, so I want to make sure (what) I understood (and what
I didn't).
- if the Mac is physically connected to an ethernet network, then the
AppleTalk services provided by netatalk via the eth0 interface are
accessible to MOL as well, right?
Is this true for a private EtherTalk network (not connected to
Internet, meaning that the linppc machine can have no IP address)?
- if it isn't, then the services should be provided by the tap0
interface, right?
And this requires recompiling the device with multicast support, right?
I guess in that case, the netdev parameter in molrc should be set to
tap0, right?

>It is possible to run AppleTalk on eth0 and tap0 simultaneously
>(with netatalk functioning as a bridge), but this requires
>configuration of net ranges etc.

What would be the interest? Either the Mac is connected to an
ethernet network, and then eth0 is fine, or it isn't and tap0
suffices, or have I missed something?

Gérard Degrez