Re: Netatalk

Subject: Re: Netatalk
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 15:12:22 MDT

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 12:02:44PM +0200, Gérard Degrez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone tell me how to configure netatalk to allow MOL to mount a
> linux partition? The main question is which network interface should be
> specified in atalkd.conf (I am not sure of the name, I don't have the doc
> in front of me)? Usually, it's the network card eth0, but in this case, I
> would guess it's different (I wouldn't think linux and MOL would
> communicate through the network card) but what (ethertap?)?

If you are connected to an ethernet network, eth0 is the correct
device (otherwise you'll have to use tap0).

It is possible to run AppleTalk on eth0 and tap0 simultaneously
(with netatalk functioning as a bridge), but this requires
configuration of net ranges etc.

Note that it necessary to recompile the tap device with multicast
support (a #define in the source) in order to run AppleTalk
on it.

Good Luck,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470