Re: LPR from Mac to linux?

Subject: Re: LPR from Mac to linux?
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 17:55:40 MST

Math Department writes:
> Does the MacOS return an error?

"failed to print because of an error" with error number 2. I've also
seen a different error message but I can't replicate that at the
moment.

> Can the Desktop Printer Utility verify the printer?

Yes.

> Unless you want to start zapping PRAM, rebuilding the desktop, and
> deleting preference files, etc

I don't see how any of that would help. With tcpdump I can see
network traffic over tap0 to the linux lpd port, so I know MacOS is
attempting to communicate with linux in more or less the right way.
Given that lpd is reporting a protocol error, it looks to me like a
mismatch between the MacOS desktop printer's idea of the lpd protocol
and linux's idea of the lpd protocol.

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net