Re: lpr desktop printers

Subject: Re: lpr desktop printers
From: Math Department (wagner@math.uh.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 08:24:25 MST

On 10/31/00 8:10 AM, R Shapiro at reshapiro@mediaone.net wrote:

> In the meantime I'm giving up on direct printing in mol. Using
> appletalk seems ridiculously over-complicated, plus which I don't
> really want to run appletalk anyway. For now I'll use the desktop
> printer to generate .ps files, then copy the .ps files to linux and
> print them with lpr.

What happens if you drop the .ps file on the desktop printer icon?
Where is the postscript rasterized? The Epson can't do it.

I am pretty sure that you have the tcp/ip configuration right, since
the Desktop Printer Utility can verify the printer.

But I don't know how print serving works with an Epson 740 usb printer.
Does the print server rasterize postscript before sending it to the Epson?
Or is the client requesting print service supposed to speak "Epson"?

FWIW, when I print to an lpr print queue at work, the server is an intel
box running redhat linux, kernel 2.2.16 and LPRng-3.6.23. I only print
postscript jobs on postscript laser printers, which is why I don't know
much about using the Epson 740 with lpr.

Good luck on finding a solution!

David Wagner