How to build ethertap and appletalk ?

Subject: How to build ethertap and appletalk ?
From: Anne et Bertrand (anneetbertrand@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 16:06:06 MST

Well, everybody talks a lot about ethertap and appletalk on the list. But I don't
understand anything. Excuse me but I know nothing about networks, about appletalk and
netatalk, about ethertap and so on. So maybe someone could tell STEP by STEP how to do to
shared volume through appletalk with an ethertap interface, and how to share my printer
(applestyle, running on the serial port, with the lpstyl driver as lpr).
Some questions : Samuel told ethertap must be compiled with multicast in the kernel. What
does it mean? Does it mean that I must enable the "IP:multicasting" option in the
"Networking options" of the kernel config file ?

Am I supposed to enable the "AppleIP to IP decapsulation support" in the "Appletalk
device" section ?

I know how to create a "ppp0" interface or an "eth0" interface for linux using the RH
netcfg utility. Am I supposed in the same way to create a "tap0" interface, corresponding
with /dev/tap0, and how could I do this ?

And after, what am I supposed to do ?
What kind of IP address for the appleshare server (because I suppose I must enable the
afpd in order to be able to share volumes in macos ?)
There are so many question I can't find the answers in what has been said on the list and
in the netatalk documentation.

Bertrand Dekoninck