MOL on 8500

Subject: MOL on 8500
From: Frère, Thierry (Thierry.Frere@bt.be)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 02:18:30 MDT

Hi there,

I have troubles running MOL on my 8500 with SuSE 6.4 (kernel 2.2.14): the
machine freezes after running startmol (it applies the patches, then freezes
after having opened a black window with the text (approximate) "this
resolution mignt not be supported.. hit the space bar to switch to the
console". No way to switch to a text console with the keyboard. And the
crash is really bad; at the next linux boot, I have to run fsck manually,
which makes me nervous ..

I tried various settings in molrc with the same result, including booting
from the newworld ROM included in System 8.6 on the mac side. I have tried
also alternatives (MacOS 9.0, together with the Mac OS ROM file from
Ethernet update). I have also tried various settings, including the one used
by X (1024/768/75).

Here are some questions:

Has anybody seen the same behaviour?
does it really make sense to boot from the newworld ROM, or is it better to
use the built-in ROM?
Does MOL boots the Mac from the first partition in the blockdev statements
in molrc?
in molrc, in the mouse section, the reference to /dev/adbmouse is commented;
does it needs to stay this way?
If someone has successfully ran MOL on a 8500, could this person kindly send
me his molrc file?

Thanks in advance,
Thierry