Re: MOL on 8500

Subject: Re: MOL on 8500
From: David Augsburger (davidaug@hotsplice.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 09:54:27 MDT

I'm not an expert but I may have some info for you until you find one.

>I have troubles running MOL on my 8500 with SuSE 6.4 (kernel 2.2.14):
>
>I tried various settings in molrc with the same result, including booting
>from the newworld ROM included in System 8.6 on the mac side. I have tried
>also alternatives (MacOS 9.0, together with the Mac OS ROM file from
>Ethernet update). I have also tried various settings, including the one used
>by X (1024/768/75).
>
>Here are some questions:
>
>Has anybody seen the same behaviour?

Not exactly, but I imagine not everyone gets MOL working the first time. I
know I didn't.

>does it really make sense to boot from the newworld ROM, or is it better to
>use the built-in ROM?

I believe in your case you can use either; i.e. if you're running 8.6 or
better, and it's preferrable to use the newworld ROM.

>Does MOL boots the Mac from the first partition in the blockdev statements
>in molrc?

Yes.

>in molrc, in the mouse section, the reference to /dev/adbmouse is commented;
>does it needs to stay this way?

No, this should be uncommented. I don't have access to my molrc right now,
but I think it has:

        /dev/adbmouse adb

And make sure there isn't an usb instruction. I thought this was self
explanatory.

Look again at the instructions directly above that entry.

>If someone has successfully ran MOL on a 8500, could this person kindly send
>me his molrc file?

Interestingly enough, I think the 8500 was one of the first machines that
ran MOL, many machines didn't, or had to use the 8500 ROM.

I don't know if this is any help. I'm using:

Beige DT G3/300 with full DVD (AV model) 96 Megs RAM
Mac OS 8.1
External SCSI 2 Gig Drive

Michael Peters' kernel usb-2.2.14-000305.
LinuxPPC 2000
kppp 1.6.22
ipchains-1.3.9-3
rom.7300