Re: LinuxPPC+MOL versus MacOS X Public Beta

Subject: Re: LinuxPPC+MOL versus MacOS X Public Beta
phandel@cise.ufl.edu
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 03:31:27 MDT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Philippe Lelédy wrote:

> But you have no compiler. A bypass is possible by copying them from a Darwin
> partition.

The developer CD is coming soon. I'm not sure on the pricing, but I
believe I read (MacNN?) that it'll be free.

> Installing a new software is not easy.

Actually, it should be extremely easy ... double-clicking on a package
will launch the standard installer, which is very easy to use.

> You can add X11 (from Darwin), but switching betwen MacOS, console and
> X11 is very unconfortable, I think you have to reboot for switching
> between MacOS and X11.

Simply log in as >console if you're at the OS X graphical login window to
get the console mode. Once you log out, it will bring you back to the
graphical login window.

Also, check out the beta X server from Tenon at http://www.tenon.com.

> Under MacOS X GUI you can't execute any classic MacOS application if you can't
> boot from a Mac OS 9, which I've not got.

True, MacOS 9 is required for the Classic in OS X Beta.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter F. Handel          "[The anti-Christ] also forced everyone, small and
phandel@cise.ufl.edu      great ... to receive a mark [smart card?] on his