Re: What's the use of selftest?

Subject: Re: What's the use of selftest?
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 05:24:23 MDT

>Hi,
>
>when playing with the recent development version of Mac-on-Linux
>(which works very nicely for me, by the way), I came across a small
>piece of code in a file called selftest.c. It segfaults when run on
>its own, and it is apparently never used by any of the other programs
>(mol or startmol or moldeb).
>
>So what's this thing good for?
>
>Regards, Jens.

MOL can run statically linked ELF-binaries (instead of MacOS). The
selftest program will be started if you do

        'startmol --selftest'
or
        'startmol --elf=/xxxxx/selftest'

(warning: the exact syntax might be slightly different).

The selftest program currently outputs some performance
information.

The idea is making it simple to verify that the MOL engine
works, independently of the MacOS installation although
the ELF-binary loading code is primarily indented for
the linux kernel.

Regards,

/Samuel