Re: What's the use of selftest?

Subject: Re: What's the use of selftest?
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 07:33:23 MDT

>> the ELF-binary loading code is primarily indented for
>> the linux kernel.
>
>Am I just misunderstanding you, or does this mean that one can load a
>Linux kernel with `startmol --elf=/vmlinux' and obtain meaningful
>results?

No - that should work. However, the registers are not properly
setup for booting the linux kernel and the memory-mapping
is probably not what the kernel expects.

It should be simple enough though to setup a kernel-compatible
boot environment. Using the BootX interface is probably a
good idea (avoids OpenFirmware callbacks).

The main task to get Linux running is writing some device
drivers (in particular a block driver). Also, some hacks
might be needed in order to fix the linux timer calibration.

Regards,

/Samuel