disk partitions (was Re: mol 0.9.60 + 2.4.7 kernel + Titanium)

Subject: disk partitions (was Re: mol 0.9.60 + 2.4.7 kernel + Titanium)
From: Iain Sandoe (iain@sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 08:27:47 MDT

Sat, Aug 04, 2001, Samuel Rydh wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 02:57:10PM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:
>> although it was only mounting the first MacOS partition on each
>> drive.
>
> Note that if you have more than 16 partitions on a disk, then
> you have to use the '/dev/hdeN' syntax (and not just /dev/hde).
> (This is one thing that should be fixed).

OK. This would apply to one physical disk - but I've been using the
/dev/sdXNN format anyway.

> Moreover, make sure you mark the boot partition with '-boot'. If this
> is not done, MacOS might unmount partitions until it finds the bootable
> one...

ah - this might be it ...

I had been ordering the /dev/sdXNN so that the boot partition I wanted was
first in the list in /etc/molrc.

> In particular. Do NOT use the '/dev/hde' syntax if MOL is configured
> to load a ROM from the linux side - MOL won't know which volume to boot
> from (MOL places the boot volume first in the volume list).

umm. I am booting with the ROM from the linux side.

well, I *will* try this sometime over the weekend - although (from memory) I
don't think that the boot partitions are at the end of the disk(s).
However, since I have 9.0.4, 9.1, linux & OS-X (10.0.4) I can see why
confusion might occur.

Things have definitely been slightly more 'interesting' since I installed
os-X (although this might be the new drivers that came with the install of
9.1 - which I did at the same time).

thanks,
Iain.