Re: Some suggestions for MOL

Subject: Re: Some suggestions for MOL
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 16:30:33 MDT

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 02:26:08PM -0700, Michael E . Stora wrote:
> 1. Startmol should return some exit status when it quits for certain
> reasons, in particular specific codes for an unusable session file, a
> lock-file, inability to patch, etc, so that we can write scripts to deal
> with problems automatically.

Agree.

> 2. MOL currently recognizes all three linux mouse buttons but maps
> them all to the one mac mouse button. The #2 and #3 mouse button should
> map to a keystroke, or click/keystroke comination specifiable in
> /etc/molrc.

Actually, it is MacOS that maps button 2 and 3 to button 1. However,
there are utilities which can change the behaviour of button 2 and 3.

> The following apply to my Lombard under both LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 and YDL2.0:
>
> 3. The shift-lock key does not work in MOL

It works in console mode, provided the keycode<->adb_code mapping is
correct. I don't know about X though (I have reconfigured the key
as a secondary control key, so I don't know for sure).

> 4. Linux uses ctrl-option(alt)-Fx to change consoles, however it is
> ctrl-apple-Fx in MOL. I wish this was user-configurable.

The command key is quite often configured as the linux alt key
(one of the distribution dependent things). Perhaps MOL
should just accept both combinations? In my experience the
F-keys are not heavily used in MacOS.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 790nnnn