Re: Can't run mol 0.9.58-1 on PowerTowerPro and LinuxPPC

Subject: Re: Can't run mol 0.9.58-1 on PowerTowerPro and LinuxPPC
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 22:36:03 MDT

Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:
> I tried using the ROM file I grabbed from my machine, but that doesn't
> seem to work. It dies mid-way through the boot process (before it
> gets to loading any control panels), showing the little empty plain
> dialog with no buttons or text in it.

Because you can't run 9.1 on an OldWorld ROM (like what I'm guessing
that machine has).

> I also tried using the version 3.8 ROM file from the download area. That
> gives me the msg "this install can't be used on your machine" (paraphrased).

You need to get the "Mac OS ROM" file from the system folder (should be
in the System Folder on the OS 9.1 boot CD). Put it into
/usr/lib/mol/rom, and specify 'newworld' as the boot method, and point
to the appropriate file for the ROM image. (I don't think it includes
strip_nwrom, and I don't think 0.9.58 needs it either.)

Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net